acanthusleaf: (Default)
[personal profile] acanthusleaf
Enough people have bugged me over time about making a ring with the seven deadly sins that I'm going to make this as part of my annual pre-Pennsic product development push. This will look much like the chivalric virtue rings - two lines of text on a triangular-shaped band. My proposed text is:

gluttony lust avarice
pride wrath envy sloth

because it fits nicely that way. I like wrath instead of anger, and everyone should know what it means (I hope). I may have to explain that avarice means greed, but at least it's a one-word explanation, unlike "franchise". Both Dante and Chaucer used pretty much exactly these sins for the 7 deadlies. What do you all think?

I am going to take some more of the work on this in-house to try to keep the final ring price under $50. Silver is up 45% from a year ago (Eek!). I'm hoping that if I do all the sizing and polishing myself I can keep the cost down. I really need a new hotcake item like the virtue rings, and I'm afraid that a silver ring that costs more than $50.00 is not going to fly. 

Also, I'm thinking of opening these up for preorders. I have to invest in casting the original, getting a mold made, and buying silver to get these produced, and the finances are a bit strained right now.

What do you think is reasonable? I could take a $20 deposit towards rings for June delivery with the balance due when the ring actually exists. That would kick my butt into gear to make sure I have these in stock well before Pennsic. I am reluctant to presell the entire thing until I know how much they will cost me and how long they will take to size and polish. 

Feedback, please! 

Date: 2010-04-22 04:50 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] trystbat.livejournal.com
Pre-order right here, baby! That is *exactly* my style & price range. Might even go up to $75 (just looked @ the virtue ring on your site for comparison & it's worth it). $50 is perfectly fine. Compromise at $66.60 for a sin ;-)

LOVE the text. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
Edited Date: 2010-04-22 04:53 pm (UTC)

Date: 2010-04-22 08:33 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] raventhourne.livejournal.com
$66.60 is made of WIN!!!

Date: 2010-04-22 04:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nibuca.livejournal.com
Please put me down for a pre-order as well.
(deleted comment)

Date: 2010-04-23 02:12 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dame-cordelia.livejournal.com
That is too good. Now I have to have both rings.

I'll take one!

Date: 2010-04-22 06:09 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] learnteach.livejournal.com
For 66.60, tax included!

Date: 2010-04-22 06:45 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] syele.livejournal.com
Dude this is AWESOME! Must have! :)

Date: 2010-04-22 07:52 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] klwilliams.livejournal.com
I'll pre-order.

Date: 2010-04-23 12:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dave-orphal.livejournal.com
I think Raventhourne and John have an idea --- people will pay for good comedy. If they can actually pay the "price of the beast" I think they will go for it -- the comedy may diminish of the price changes due to taxes at the register.

Date: 2010-04-23 03:36 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sarahbellem.livejournal.com
If you make a size 4, I'd be all over it. :)

Date: 2010-04-23 04:03 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] answers-within.livejournal.com
I will pre-order one right this second for J. He, of course, needs no reminding of sins, but I think he would be beyond pleased with himself to have one as a form of truth in advertising. Besides, I'm not killing myself working two jobs for nothing, you know - I have MONEY and I need to SPEND IT! Should I Paypal the $20 or what? :-D

Awesome idea, can't wait to see how they come out!

*HUG*
Page generated Oct. 5th, 2026 11:43 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios